SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

From:
Joshua Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:47:36 -0800
>>i am in a religion
>>and film class right now and i am going to write a paper on christ
>>figures in film. i was wondering if you had any interesting
>>suggestions? let me know if you do. thanks.

I take it this means Christ-like figures, not representations of Christ per se.

Some Christ-like figures:

Jesus (Sol's Puerto Rican assistant) in THE PAWNBROKER
E.T.
Jake La Motta in RAGING BULL
Schrader argues that many of Bresson's characters resemble images of Christ
in one of the Eastern branches of the Church (Russian Orthodox, Greek
Orthodox, or something else, I forget)

Of course, this is going to be one of those endless lists...

Joshua Hirsch