SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 3

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:25:36 -0800
At 04:52 PM 2/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
>For a quickie turnaround article on psuedonymous Oscar nominations, I was
>hoping somebody might be able to list for me a few writers of the blacklist
>era who were nominated for (and/or won) Oscars under other names.  I recall
>that in the last couple of years, a blacklisted writer was (posthumously, I
>believe) credited for a screenwriting Oscar, but I can't recall the specific
>writer or film and don't have any clue as to any others.

Shawn, I think you're referring to Carl Foreman, who co-wrote Bridge on the
River Kwai, uncredited because of the blacklist, which won the best
screenplay Oscar.  Foreman received that Oscar posthumously in 1985.

Barbara Bernstein                       San Francisco, CA
[log in to unmask]                     http://www.kinexis.com