SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 2

From:
Brian Keith Aurand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:33:44 -0500
One thing that has always interested me about Bunuel and his films is the
notion of the objectiveization of classes in his film.  I was wondering if
you are considering the "shock" of this and the way that we might
interpret this today rather than when the film originally came out.  In
particular, I am interested in what people may have said about his
"objectivzing" the "idiots" in this film in a similar fashion to what I
have heard some say about his treatment of the boys in LOS OLVIDADOS or
the "poor" in VIRIDIANA--actually my favorite of his texts.  On one hand
we may argue that Bunuel is a social activist who is taking these stories
and putting them out for more people to see and realize the difficulties
of these lives, but I have also heard some argue that B's treatment of
certain groups in his films (maybe all the women as one person has put it
to me????) are solely exploited.

ciao,
brian

brian k aurand