SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 2

From:
Johnson Cheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:24:21 -0500
Hey all-  As someone working in disability studies here @ OSU, I've read
all those e-mails with interest, and thought you might be interested in the
following resources.  Also, I think it depends on how far you want to
extend the definition of disability.  Lehman's chapters on scars and
missing limbs, from Running Scared, for example, seems to fit.  And
something else occurs to me too here, just having watched Larry Flint.
That is, how disability is often played or not play out on charters, even
isn supposedly non-disabled stories.  That is that thje only mention of
disability in Flint is when he says, "I wish God would have killed me
instead, cause I can't make love to a woman." An admitted sentiment,
certainly.  What I find objectionable, is that that particular line is
noithing more than that old "Kill me or Cure me" paradigm, that the
disabled community buys into/works against?  But even though we do SEE
Flint living with his disability for the rest of the film, that's not what
we're left with.  Ditto the whole Chris Reeve media frenzy.  So I think
it's important to think though these instances too, and how disability is
played through, or not, in films.  For some understanding of Disability
Rights, etc. [and just good background reading] try Sharipo's *No Pity:
People with Disabilities Forging a New Civil Rights Movement.*  As for my
own disability picks, *Mask* is still one of my favorites, and we just
showed Coming Home in a lit./film class here which has probably the most
well done disability sex scene I've seen.  I'd love to hear more about
everyone's projects, but I not signed on to the listserve yet, so anyone
who want can find me by snail mail or just e-mail me directly for the time
being.  Thanks,  Johnson Cheu

Bogdan, R., Biklen, D. Shapiro, A., and Spelkoman, D.  "The Disabled:
Media's Monster."  Social Policy  (Fall 1982): 32-35.

Cumberbatch, Guy and Ralph Negrine.  Images of Disability on    Television.
London: Routledge, 1992.

Hevey, David. The Creatures Time Forgot: Photography and        Disability
Imagery. London: Routledge, 1992.

Klobas, Lauri E. Disability Drama in Film and Television. Jefferson:
McFarland, 1988.

Johnson, Mary. "A Test of Wills: Jerry Lewis, Jerry's Orphans and the
Telethon."  In The Ragged Edge. ( formerly The Disability Rag)  13.5
(Sept./Oct. 1992): 4-9.

Nordon, Martin F. The Cinema of Isolation: A History of Physical
Disability in the Movies. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1994.

Schuchman, S.  Hollywood Speaks: Deafness and the Film  Entertainment
Industry.  Urbana: U Illinois P, 1988.

Wahl, Otto F. Media Madness: Public Images of Mental Illness. New
Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1996.

Zola, Irving K.  "Depiction of Disability-metaphor, message and
medium in the Media: A Research and Political Agenda."  The     Social
Science Journal 22 (1985): 5-18.

Johnson Cheu
The Ohio State University
Dept. of English