SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 2

From:
Steven Cohan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 00:07:04 -0800
> On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Wayne Salazar wrote:
>
> > For a compilation film called "I Love You, He Said," I'm seeking scenes in
> > which men say "I love you" to other men. Father to son, friend to friend,
> > lover to lover. Hollywood, experimental, foreign, whatever. If anyone can
> > think of films with these scenes in them, I'd appreciate hearing about
> > them.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Wayne Salazar

Check out (if no one has mentioned it already):

MacMurray and Robinson's exchange at the very end of *Double Indemnity*

Kelly and Sinatra right after the ballet number in *On the Town* (I
think I remember the dialogue being this specific in its avowal of
mutual affection)

The song "I love you" is sung by Robert Strauss and Harvey Lembeck in
the POW camp in *Stalag 17*

In *Hollywood or Bust* Lewis says he loves Martin (I think to his face)

I also think there is such a conversation between Danny Kaye and Dana
Andrews on a bus, in context referring to a woman but heard by a
passagenger out of context, in *Up in Arms*

In *Road to Morocco* Hope and Crosby says it to each other (a comedy bit
around a camel in the opening section of the film. (I have an article
on Hope and Crosby that talks about this scene coming out later this
year in a collection called *Out Takes* edited by Ellis Hanson)

Also, if you're including TV, last week, the end of *Men Behaving Badly*
(which I caught accidentally, so didn't see the whole show) had this
exchange, too.

Hope these references help.

Steve Cohan