SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Pip Chodorov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 05:56:42 -0500
>When I met William K. Everson in St. Louis some
>years ago he ran a duped 16mm print of the film and explained that it was,
>unfortunately, the only type of copy available since original mint versions
>were not around.

I saw a pristine nitrate print of this film at the Eastman House in Rochester
NY in 1984. It was a semi-private projection for a freshman film class, and
after the class they told us that the print would no longer be projected, but
stored in the archives. It must still be there somewhere. This was the only
time I ever saw the film, but it stands out in my mind as the most beautiful
black & white I have ever seen.
-Pip Chodorov