SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Brian Keith Aurand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 13:32:25 -0500
I am currently trying to work out some skeletons for a course on prisons
and asylums in print and non-print media.  I hope to teach the course in
the fall, and I was hoping to get some help on it from some of you all out
there.

This is what I have so far:
SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
COO-COO'S NEST
12 MONKEYS
COOL HAND LUKE
KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN
HANOI HILTON
FORTUNE AND MEN'S EYES

PAPILLON
HOMEBOY by Seth Morgan

some Foucault
some Nietzsche

THIS IS WHAT I AM STILL CONCERNED ABOUT:

1.  The texts are all male based thus far, and I would like to make sure
that there is a further investigation of gender and sexuality issues from
different positionalities.

2.  The texts thus far are also very traditional Western texts, and I
would like to diversify it more to provide different perspectives and
shcema for thinking through these issues.

3.  This list is also not enought to go by yet, so I would appreciate any
and all suggestions you might have to flesh it out better.  There is a lot
I am missing, I know, but I have just started.

4.  I would also be interested in what other people might have done with a
course like this or with these issues in their thinking and in their
classes.  I have a background in teaching in corrections, but I have not
done much work with theories of corrections outside of Bentham and
Foucault.

thanks,
brian

brian k aurand