SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Skip Press <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:50:41 +0000
Hi there. When I was living in Clayhatchee, Alabama, Hollywood was very=20
inaccessible to me, but I knew I wanted to make movies. Even when I=20
moved to Los Angeles, I still found Hollywood a hard nut to crack, but I=20
now have a way to beat the system.=20

Six years ago, I sold two screenplays to people who literally had the=20
money in the bank to make them. For various reasons, they didn't, and I=20
was so disgusted I turned to writing books. I sold 21 titles since. A=20
year ago, I got the opportunity to write the Writer's Guide to Hollywood=20
Producers, Directors and Screenwriting Agents for Prima Publishing. It=20
comes out next week.=20

The only reason I'm able to tell you about it is because we're both=20
online, which is important. The largest chapter in my new book is "You=20
Can Get There From Here," discussing resources which allow you to reach=20
Tinseltown people electronically. Half of the book is a directory of=20
hundreds of people who are actively looking for scripts=AD=ADa large numb=
er=20
of them have e-mail addresses; some have Websites. I have people listed=20
in countries around the world (even Iceland). The other half of the book=20
covers all aspects of a screenwriting career, with experts like Lew=20
Hunter of UCLA. There's even software reviews.=20

I'm not just promoting my book. Like the "Writer's Guide" on the=20
publishing industry by Jeff Herman, my book will be revised each year,=20
with updated information and listings. If you have made a film and have=20
a production company and want to be included, please send me an e-mail=20
with the subject heading "Listing." And if you want some free writing=20
advice, check out my URL below. You can download some of my articles for=20
Writer's Digest magazine and other things. And don't worry--you won't=20
hear from me again unless you ask. Thanks.

Skip Press
http://www.hollywoodnetwork.com/skip