SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Heather Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:37:44 +0000
Don,  I have a great budget structure book titled "Film Budgeting or,
How Much Will It Cost To Shoot Your Movie" By Ralph S. Singleton. Lone
Eagle is the publisher. It states.,

        "All feature budgets, whether or not they use the exact account numbers
of a particular studio, retain the style of the 'studio system', in
which a line is drawn across the top sheet. Above that line
(Above-the-Line) are all the so-called artistic or creative componets.
Below (Below-the-Line) are all the technical and mechanical components."

So it seem as if the terms grew out of the actual line that was drawn
across the 'studio system' of prepairing budgets.

As for when the phrase was first used I don't know. Are they still
current? Well Singletons' book is copyrighted 1996. So I have to say
yes.

Brett