SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:04:04 -0800
As I understand it, there are actually a couple of things implied in the
phrases "above and below the line."

One is akin to billing (as in "The Name above the title") and can refer to
stars, directors or even screenwriters or department heads (cinematographer,
production designer, etc.); it's often used casually in this sense as a way
of implying that ther person to whom it applies has a prestigious enough
name to attract other talent or (more crucially, often) money to a project.

The other use of the term -- and the one you might be more intestested in --
distinguishes between negotiated and non-negotiated salaries.  For instance,
a star, director, etc. is 'above the line' because his or her salary isn't
set by a union; a gaffer or wardrobe assistant, on the other hand, is below
the line because his or her wages can be calculated in advance.

The Bottom Line, aside from being a wonderfully atmospheric old Greenwich
Village rock club, is another matter entirely....

Cheers,

SL

     Shawn Levy     | "Sympathy isn't what I'm after, I'm basically
                    |  almost happy, God in all His wisdom knows that at heart
 [log in to unmask]  I'm really not complaining...."