SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:26:00 -0600
Leslie Larson requests:
"I'm trying to copy stills from a 16mm print onto paper to illustrate a
journal article. I'm working from a film print rather than video (where
frame grabbing programs would come into play) becuase of tape
availability and print quality issues.

Can anyone suggest a professional service or technique which would enable
this kind of visual transfer?"

I have a Fujica device that attaches to the body of a 35 mm. still camera and
can hold either 8mm. or 16 mm. films to make slides.

However, according to the teacher's guide that comes with the latest ed. of
Bordwell and Thompson's FILM ART: AN INTRODUCTION (5th ed--McGraw Hill),
Canon makes the only device that will work for 35 mm. (and made a version for
16mm. as well).  There are detailed suggestions for setting up slide-making
possible, but I assume that you could make regular 35 mm. negatives for
paper prints as well--or just print off the slides,  even though that's usually
more expensive.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)