SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 3

From:
Daniel Frampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:05:59 +0000
I remember going to see *Once Upon a Time, Cinema* by Mohsen Makmalbaf (the
Iranian Godard [we shouldn't call him]) at the London Film Festival a few
years ago, and every so often the subtitles would just not appear, and
strangely enough at exactly the same time the largely Iranian audience
would collapse in laughter. The few non-Iranians would either look around
blankly, or chuckle in the way you do when you don't get a joke but want to
look like you do. Great film though. *Gabbeh* (his new one) is just as
good.

Daniel.

Daniel Frampton
Owner, Film-Philosophy: International Email Salon
   Email: [log in to unmask]
   Web Site: http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy/
PhD Student, British Film Institute & Birkbeck College, London
   Email: [log in to unmask]