SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:20:33 -0500
I'm aware of the fact that
>Italian films were dubbed after shooting, and I appreciate the effort to
>clarify that point with the reference to Trintignant, who is indeed my
>favorite actor.  Can we be certain that he didn't do his own (Italian)
>dubbing, though?

        Absolutely.  His Italian was accentless and there's no way that he
could have reproduced that sound unless he were a native speaker.  Also, I
saw him in *Un Homme et une Femme* (in French) and his voice doesn't match.

  He appeared in a slew of Italian films early in his career.

        Always dubbed.

> I rented one of those early Italian films from Home Film Festival and I
>would bet the ranch that he did his own dubbing in that one, so I never
>questioned whether it was his voice in "The Conformist."

        No, he didn't.

>Dan Gribbin

gloria monti
american studies
yale university

269 W. 12th St., #2-2, New York, NY 10014-1975
voice mail: (212) 604-0779
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"he was blessed with the happiness and the nonchalant courage that come of
living according to one's principles."

james traub, about william kunstler