SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

From:
Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:26:42 -0600
These posts jogged my memory of the early 1950s, when I was in high school
and my father brought home a pile of "Showman's Trade Review" (something
like that) and "Boxoffice." What an amazing learning experience for someone
who had just started sneaking into Adults Only movies (_all_ non-US films
were Adults Only in Chicago in the 50s except those of Alec Guinness).
There were some ads and reviews for Italian films from a new distributor,
who was promoting them as "Dubbed into English."  By then, Italian films had
an aura of naughtiness (certainly in Chicago!) so all that was needed was a
good title and the right photos in the ads.  I don't think the company
lasted very long, nor did a couple of semi-art theaters that opened in the
neighborhoods (outside the Loop and Near North Side) to show movies like
these.  The ones I saw, generally on TV a few years later, were not
boxoffice material.  So Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren, who went to
Hollywood, became superstars, and Lucia Bose and Eleonora Rossi Drago
disappeared from the American scene.  Later I read that Rossi Drago never
dubbed her own films because her voice was considered unacceptable by
Italian distribs.

As for their advertised Dubbing, it was awful.

Carol