SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Eugene Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:13:11 -0600
>I'm writing an analysis of Wild at Heart by David Lynch.  I would
>appreciate any information concerning this movie and David Lynch.

 "Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round" by Kathleen Murphy in _Film Comment_ (Nov/
Dec, 1990) is a good place to start. Norman K Denzin in his book _Images of
Postmodern Society: Social Theory and Contemporary Cinema" has a chapter on
Lynch, but only a paragraph or two on Wild at Heart. But he captures it
nicely with the phrase "part _Wizard of Oz_, film noir, kinky fairy-tale,
self-satire, soap opera and sexual exploitation...."

Gene Walz
University of Manitoba