SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 1

From:
Michael Friend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:34:55 -0800
FYI:

Jonathan Latimer wrote a terrific script for Red Harvest (I think in 1941) which
should be on file at Paramount as an unproduced property.  It is my impression
that the equally wonderful script by Marilyn Gulden (the flower girl in The
Conformist!), is perhaps influenced by this earlier version. This late 70s (?)
script was written for Bernardo Bertolucci (to be produced by Alberto Grimaldi,
to star Jack Nicholson), as announced in Variety, never materialized, apparently
because of ecalating costs.  Given the nature of the subject matter, Bertolucci
and Nicholson, at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, could have created a
landmark film like Chinatown, and I guess that's what we mean by the one that
got away.  But even the script history of this great roman noir deserves to be
studied and taught!