SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 1

From:
Jesse Kalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:03:20 -0400
I find this response by students as strange and puzzeling as Don.  I have
never encountered it, even in "first" film courses, though I can quite
imagine that students come to "block out" the (language) sound through
their focus on reading.  (This actually is an argument for dubbing, though
that's another issue.)  I have used Japanese films extensively, especially
Ozu and "Tokyo Story", and a wide range of films other than Kurosawa.  I
have always encouraged them to listen to the Japanese and begin to connect
it (inflection, tone, etc.) with facial expression, bodily comportment, and
the information given in subtitles.  (They have also been encouraged to see
the films twice, though most don't, except in response to a specific
assignment or for a term paper.)

But film is also a strange beast, living as much in our imaginations (and
constructed memories, ie., as retold stories--modified, amplified,
embellished, etc.