SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
"C.Kay Weaver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:27:07 +1200
I am interested in looking at current perceptions of film theory among film
scholars (where they think 'its at' and what direction it is currently
taking).  My own view is that there appears to be little, if any, consensus
of opinion about where film theory is headed.  This is not a criticism, and
in fact may represent the maturing of a discipline where a whole variety of
approaches are being used to look at issues of filmic representation in
depth, rather than attempting  to write an all engulfing theory of how film
'works'/what it is/should be doing etc.  But I am also interested in
in film theory courses (I'm thinking mainly of Bordwell et al's writings),
and whether this suggests an implicit acceptance of this model.

I could go on, but would be more  interested in developing some dialogue on
this with others.

Kay Weaver

 C. Kay Weaver.  Film and Television Studies.  University of
Waikato,    Private Bag 3105.  Hamilton.  New Zealand .
 Tel&FAX:+ 07 8384543.  e-mail: [log in to unmask]