SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 3

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:57:30 +0000
On Sat, 16 Nov 1996 17:51:44 -0500 Jenni Olson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There are a number of independent gay and lesbian features you might want to
> consider.
>
> Examples:
>
> Antonia's Line (Dutch Oscar winner, covers the life of a woman and her
> family)

In what sense would you call this a "gay and lesbian
feature?" OK, the heterosexual relationships depicted are
unconventional (to put it mildly), but homosexuality isn't,
as far as I could see, a central element of the film's
narrative (having said that, I saw it without subtitles and
might have missed some of the subtleties).

Leo Enticknap
Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture
*** look at our website on http://www.ex.ac.uk/bill.douglas/ ***
University of Exeter, UK