SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
Peter Latham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:03:02 -0500
I am reluctant to confess that I'm not sure just what a buddy film is. The
working definition I've always used is that the "generic" buddy film
consisted of two persons who are apparently dissimilar but in important
hidden ways similar, who discover this common humanity in the course of the
film, usually on a quest. By this definition, Rain Man is a buddy film as
is Sense and Sensibility, but Thelma and Louise, and Standy By Me are
not.The latter two might be considered quest movies in which people
pursuing a quest enjoy adventures which marginally include self-knowledge.
Or is a "buddy film" simply a story of two unromantically involved persons
doing things we like to see? In that case, the Abbott/Costello films and
the Hope/Crosby Road movies are buddy films.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Peter S. Latham