SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
Meredith McMinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 02:04:55 -0800
Interesting that you mention this.  It makes me think of the Looney Toons
cartoon, Duck Amuck, in which Daffy's environment and situation keep
changing as he tries to figure out what kind of story he's in. The
entire film plays with not only notions of sound vs. image, but the very
nature of film narrative. At one point, Daffy's figure is comletely
erased and we hear only his voice. His body is then replaced with a
bizarre imaginary creature that looks part flower, part animal, with
polka dots and quite unnatural colors. But we know it's Daffy because
his voice remains the same. In this case the image is unreliable.
We aren't talking about a narrator here, though, so we're still, in a
sense, priviledging vision, since we know Daffy from previous images.