SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 2

From:
Amy Dafler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:08:08 -0600
As a senior in the Louisiana Scholars' College, I am fulfilling degree
requirements by writing my senior thesis on "Images of Aging in Film."

I began my work looking at three films: "On Golden Pond," "Cocoon," and
"Harold and Maude." To aid my interpretation of these films, I read
Louis Gianetti's "Understanding Movies" and Marshall McLuhan's
"Understanding Media." Taking advantage of the internet, I searched for
websites and articles that might include discussion of aging and film.
Here, I was lead to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Center for
Twentieth Century Studies and their conference "Women and Aging."

To continue my research, I intend to view fims representative of many
genres. These films include, but are not limited to: "Trip to
Bountiful," "Throw Momma From the Train," and "Making of a Marriage."
However, my main difficulty is locating literature about film and aging.
If you have any resources you feel are helpful, please respond privately
or to the list.

Thank you for your time, patience, and interest.

Sincerely,
Amy Dafler