SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 5

From:
Zoe Salonitides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:00:08 +1100
The only horror films which *really* scared me were the ones I saw when I
was a kid. They included:

Blood Sucking Freaks - as well as horror, this also included depictions of
S&M and other features I've now chosen to supress!

The Omen I & II - the devilish smile and charm of the teenage Damien haunted
me for quite a while.

Scanner(?) - particularly the one scene where the man's head explodes into
millions of pieces.

Madman Mars - a cheap version of Friday 13th, but just as effective!

And of course the halloween series... especially the one with Jamie Lee
Curtis.

Thanks to my childhood experience, I tend to stay away from the horror
section at the video store. But I don't believe that good horror films have
to really "scare the pants off the audience" - there are plenty of schlock
horrors out there that have earned the respect of even the most die-hard of
fans.

Zoe