SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:12:24 +0900
At 13:26 10/30/96 -0600, ai anazawa wrote:
>It's not a big deal, but I thought it's intersesting to mention something
>about Takeshi's stage name.  It is actually "Beet" and not "Beat."  "Beet"
>in Japanese is called "tensai," which in different Chinese characters means
>"genius."  It's one of those silly jokes he comes up with.
>ai

Ai,

Thank you very much for pointing that out, but I don't think we should
restrict Takeshi's "tensaisa" by reducing his puns just to one dimension.
The pun from "Bito" ("i" like in "Hawaii") to "tensai" (beet/genius) is
matched by the move from, given the name of his manzai conbi with Kaneko
Kiyoshi, "Tsu Bito" to "Two Beats" (a musical analogy).  "Bito" in Japanese
can mean both "beat" (beatnik or musical beat) and "beet."  The pun doesn't
work as well in English because of the difference in spelling.  But in
romanizing his name, one had to be chosen and for better or for worse,
"Beat" has become the standard form.

Aaron Gerow