SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:07:11 GMT
In message  <v02140b01ae94f8ef6a35@[193.10.225.67]> [log in to unmask]
 writes:
> Dear Screen -L'ers,
>
> My undergraduate film class will be taking a trip to London, though as
> instructor I am most likely unable to accompany them due to other courses
> going on at the same time. I would like to arrange a couple of visits for
> them at film schools or academic institutions studying film. There will be
> approximately 20 students, but if a smaller group is necessry, we can
> arrange that within the group.
>
> Many of my students want to work in the industry, so if there are any film
> production people on the list or instructors at any school in London that
> could accomodate a visit --- even a brief one --- we would very much
> appreciate the contact. They will be there from Monday Dec. 9th to Thursday
> Dec. 12th. We have an Erasmus program here and a number of my students may
> wish to study abroad. This can be an interesting start for possible student
> exchanges.

THe two main ones are the National Film And Television School, located
a short train ride outside London, in Beaconsfield, BUckinghamshire, and
the London International Film School. The National one is state
sponsored.

There is also the excellent academic programme at the BFI. Academically,
both the University of Warwick (in Coventry) and the University of East
Alngia (in Norwich) have excellent film departments. UEA has a massive
American exchange programme, as well as working heavily with Erasmus,
and I would recommend it for visiting students due to it's modularised
structuure.

You will probably be unable to exchange students into practical
film and video courses, due to the financial structures of
British Universites. NApier, in Edinburgh, however, does do
practical film making.

> Our course is primarily academic, but we do have a course in elementary
> filmmaking on video as a part of understanding theory through doing. If you
> would like to see more about what we study, look at the following URL:
> http://www.hks.se/~bertd/filmvet.html

Actually, UEA looks more and more like the place to contact...their
undergraduate degree is mostly academic with a practical component
to illustrate theory. You should contact Dr Andrew Higson, at
the University of East Anglia, Norwich, Norfolk. He is not on e-mail,
and I don't have his number on me right now.

If you need a guide for London - shout!

--
Morgan