SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Clint Yoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:33:06 CDT
I just recently saw 'Fargo' by the Coen Bros., and although
I loved the film, I was wondering if any of you webheads
out there thought the 'Minnesota' accents were used  a). as a spoof,
since they are HIGHLY exaggerated, or   b). the Coens casted
some miserable actors (with the exception of Steve Buscemi) who
merely THOUGHT they were accurately portraying that sort of accent.
In my opinion, the only credible 'accent' was in the character of the
grandfather. Although I'm from Cleveland (and NO, there is NO SUCH
THING as a Cleveland accent), I have a friend from Minnesota, and she
sounds nothing like the 'natives' in the film, although I do hear a
hint of that patented Minnesotian/Norwegian tongue. One particular scene
stands out - after the 'saintly' father checks on his son's condition after
the kidnapping of his mother, he leaves his bedroom, and on the back
of the door is some sort of 'concert poster' of an accordian
player!?! If it's no spoof, esp. of Norwegian accents and
polka players, then what the hell is it??
         Clint Yoby
   mailto:[log in to unmask]
TCF Dept/University of Alabama

"Life could slip away in absent minded numbness
 I'm only saying this 'cuz I wish for the best
 When you stay in self-incarceration
 I think it's such a shame.

 Don't stay home..."

                    - 311