SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
"G.Hayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:34:00 BST
Dear all,

Lately, I have been wriggling with the concept of an unreliable narrator.
Specifically what precisely constitutes one? In The Usual Suspects, Verbal
Kint is clearly an unreliable narrator, as his narrative is exposed as false
in the film; but does an unreliable narrator have to be foregrounded as
such? For example, in Melville's top gangster hat movie Le Doulos, Silien
(Jean-Paul Belmondo) gives an explanation of events which may be considered
to be highly dubious but which is nevertheless neither exposed nor countered
in the film. Do both of these narrators qualify as 'unreliable', despite
their differences? Can anyone point me towards other films or articles I
could usefully seek out?

Many thanks,

Graeme Hayes
University of Wolverhampton,