SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Peter Latham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:34:48 -0500
Cal writes:Is it my paranoia or has there been an increase in scenes (on
television) where cigars are prominent props?> Phillip Morris strikes
again???

Reflective and extended cigar smoking is used as a device to show a
masculine reflective judgement. One example comes immediately to my mind:
SGT J.J. Sefton (William Holden) in Stalag 17. Having discovered the
identity of the barracks spy, Sefton lights a stogie, inhales deeply, with
a sarcastic look on his face, and says: "Acch -sooooo." This perception of
masculine (cigar-based) reflective judgement was a social institution in
the 19th Century, where the "gentlemen" retired after dinner to smoke
amongst themselves. In fact, the "cigarette" was originally a version of
the cigar whose consumption would require less time.

I think that current adds which show women smoking cigars is meant to honor
their current status as "power brokers" equal to the 19th "Captans of
Industry" and not as as inducement for women to emmulate persons such as
William Howard Taft by smoking cigars.

Sincerely,
Peter S. Latham