SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 2

From:
Clint Yoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:45:47 CDT
Someone in the group wrote:

>Is it my paranoia or has there been an increase in scenes (on television)
>where cigars are prominent props?  Including at least on scene where a
>woman joins in the festivities?

>Phillip Morris strikes again???

Well, my friend; don't despair! You are not suffering from acute
paranoia. You're simply starting to realize then new "style,"
"trend," etc... of our beloved country. CIGARS! They're huge, they
stink, and they putrify everything within a 4-mile radius, but a good
Havana is very hard to put down, if I do say so myself. Like you,
Hollywood is starting to realize what many of have known for some
time now - cigars are extremely chic, vogue, and auspiciously cool.
It's something that Hollywood picks up because they like to be on the
bandwagon, and soon cigars will no longer be cool, presumably because
of their overexposure on the silver screenand TV. Hollywood is known for
ruining trends, and this one will undoubtingly be no exception.
(Although I do feel Hollywood did a fine job portraying the
significances of a little corner smoke shop in "Smoke," starring the
Legend, Harvey Kietel)

So smoke 'em if ya got 'em, because they might not be around much
longer.
         Clint Yoby
   mailto:[log in to unmask]
TCF Dept/University of Alabama