SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 1

Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 07:35:57 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]>
 [log in to unmask] writes:

> I have seen the film, and I thought it was  quite a bad film; it just talked
> about 'how terrible those Chinese people and Govt. who live out there
> are,' it was really simplistic, and all that I got from it was that the
> Western world must somehow control 'that terrible Chinese government,' it
> seemed to work as a justification for some kind of an understanding of
> China as a barabaric country, with a barbaric culture.

Call me simplistic and naive, but to me, a country that ties
orphan children to wooden benches all day is barbaric. As is
a country that makes decisions that some babies are left to
die of malnutrition in darkened rooms as feeding them is
too expensive.  As is a country that totures political
prisoners and uses them for slave labour.

Sometimes it's the simple truths that make the point, regardless
of how grown up and complex the arguments then get about cultural
differences.

--
Morgan