SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 4

From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:35:20 -0500
To Jennifer Senft,

To Jeremy Butler's list of 6 top film schools, I would add:

1)  Univ of Chicago--in the English Department (good for silent cinema)
2)  Univ of Pittsburgh--in the English Department (good for the Lit combination)
3)  Univ of Texas at Austin--RTF.  Of course I have a personal view of this,
but I think we're good if you want to do cultural studies (we were rated the
#1 program in this by the Speech Association last year), gender and
sexuality studies, and TV as well as film. See our Web page,
www.utexas.edu/coc/rtf.

In fact, in response to programs combining women's studies and production,
UTexas is a good possibility since we also have a MFA in film and video
production and a strong and interesting group of people teaching Women's and
Gender and Sexuality studies not only in RTF but in the Department of
English and elsewhere on campus.

Good luck deciding and applying,  Janet

Janet Staiger
   Professor of Radio-Television-Film
   Director, College of Communications Senior Fellows Program
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712  USA
512-471-6653 (office)
512-329-5104 (home)