SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 09:59:05 -0500
>I am very sorry that for us here in Europe the scheduled time for the Chat
>is so inconvenient. But I understand that finding the probable better time
>is almost an impossible task.
>Maybe some of us here in Europe are interested in meeting at another time.

Good idea, Al.  I was thinking of suggesting a second time for our periodic
SCREENchats that would both (1) facilitate European participation and (2)
provide a *daytime* meeting for North Americans (so that folks who have
their Internet connection at work/school could join in).

If Al doesn't mind, I'd suggest he take charge of trying to find such a
time.  (Is that okay, Al?)  And folks should send their preferences to him:

One thought that occurred to me was a midday North American chat, which
would be early evening for Europeans.  For example:

One Day
10:00 a.m., Los Angeles
noon, Tuscaloosa, Alabama (and, say, Chicago)
1:00 p.m., New York
2:00 p.m., Buenos Aires
6:00 p.m., London and, I believe, GMT
7:00 p.m., Paris, Stockholm
8:00 p.m., Cairo

The Next Day
1:00 a.m., Beijing
2:00 a.m., Tokyo
3:00 a.m., Wollongong, Sydney

(Note:  These times do not take into consideration the presence/absence of
daylight savings time.)

A reminder:  We'll be chatting today about Australian film.  See below for
chat times.

At 20:22 05.09.96 -0500, you wrote:
>A few of us SCREEN-L folks have been working on real-time
>Internet-based discussions on topics of interest to film/TV educators
>and students.  We haven't worked out all the kinks (like finding a
>good time for everyone worldwide), but that hasn't stopped us from
>having weekly chats Monday night at 9:00 p.m., Central Daylight Time

Australian Film Chat:

Monday
7:00 p.m., Los Angeles
9:00 p.m., Tuscaloosa, Alabama (and, say, Chicago)
10:00 p.m., New York
11:00 p.m., Buenos Aires

Tuesday
3:00 a.m., London and, I believe, GMT
4:00 a.m., Paris, Stockholm
5:00 a.m., Cairo
10:00 a.m., Beijing
11:00 a.m., Tokyo
12:00 noon, Wollongong, Sydney

----
Jeremy Butler
mailto:[log in to unmask]
SCREENsite: http://www.sa.ua.edu/SCREENsite/
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa