SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 1

From:
Jennifer Senft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:46:48 -0400
At 05:30 AM 9/3/96 GMT, Lang Thompson wrote:

>The problem with real time in Nick of Time is that there's so many
>separate stories, conventional editing and even a fantasy sequence that
>the gimmick (and that's what it is) of real time is made irrelevant.
>It probably would have occured to few people watching it that the film
>was supposed to be in real time if we hadn't been told that before
>hand.
>
>Lang Thompson

Interesting. I tend to agree with this. Do you suppose it was an effort on
the part of the screen_writer_ to be "sellable"? It just makes me think of
all the gimmicky things Hollywood does. And the things Hollywood views as
gimmicks (movies rated "NR" or not rated) that aren't gimmicks at all. A
bad film like that strip thing is used to "prove" that this whole beyond "R"
rating thing won't be commercial enough.

My $.02

Jennifer

Jennifer Senft, M.A. [log in to unmask]
"I don't know where it's going to stop