SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Jennifer Senft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:39:39 -0400
Oops.   I have looked this up now in a Bunuel biography, his autobiography,
and a published version of the script.  Since they don't mention Sartre, I
must have been wrong.  I really don't remember where I got this notion.
Unlike me to think of Sartre on my own.

Anyway, Bunuel himself said some wonderful things about this film, including
that it is one of the very few of his own that he sat through more than
once.  He also regretted not shooting it in Paris or London with European
actors and "really fine table napkins, for instance."  He also said that a
couple of the film's elements were taken from a dinner party he attended in
NY (the hostess had arranged for a waiter to lie down to nap while carrying
a food tray, and she also brought in a bear and two sheep).  True?
Bunuelian fun in "non-fiction"?

My apologies,

Jennifer

At 01:04 PM 8/28/96 +0200, you wrote:
>The film Jennifer refers to is "The exterminating angel"(1962) by Luis
>Bunuel  and it was the last one of his Mexican period and one of his best
>films ever.  It introduces (probably for the first time) a series of
>repetitions and cyclus which makes it very disturbing, only this factor
>should make it the object of study of someone researching on time in the big
>screen.
>
>On the other hand a very surrealistic theme and mood makes it dificult to
>believe that is based on Sartre's work and I very much doubt that it was
>filmed (or pretended to portrait) real time.
>But Jennifer sure has reasons to mention it and can probably update me on
>the latteer. I would very much appreciate it.
>
>-

Jennifer Senft, M.A.

Sit up front