SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:59:11 EDT
On Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:53:03 -0400 Christopher Douglas said:

>I've been lurking on this list for a little while and I have a bit of an
>obscure question.  Does anyone recall seeing films, television episodes,
>or made for tv movies based on Japanese war hold-outs on Pacific island
>jungles long after the end of World War Two?  In the 1960s and 1970s,

This is the premise, at least in part, of Josef von Sternberg's 1953 film,
The Saga of Anatahan.

Amid the clutter of my memory, I also seem to recall an episode of
Gilligan's Island in which a Japanese soldier or sailor -- played by the
late, lamented Vito Scotti, or someone like him (as if there were anyone
like him -- turns up on the island.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6