SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:33:30 -0600
Daniel notes:
"My favourite bit of slomo is the dog licking the guy's hand in Strangers on
a Train - for me the film thinking the emotional importance of the act *for
the guy, his re-recognition of morality via the dog's instinctual emotional
kindness?? - I'm going from memory....."

I wonder if it's meant to be perceived as slo-mo, if it's not perhaps a loop
of frames to extend the time (though the effect may be what Daniel suggests).
I'd have to look closely again to see.

There's a similar, wonderful moment in REAR WINDOW when Kelly first appears
and bends down to kiss Stewart.  It looks as though the action had been
extended by reprinting frames, but Hitch claimed it was just the camera
jiggling.  I tend to doubt that, but it's a great effect anyway.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)