Help for PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

PM-DOS Home

PM-DOS  August 1996, Week 3

PM-DOS August 1996, Week 3

PMAIL Mix and Match between DOS and Win95...

John Goerzen Sheard <[log in to unmask]>

Pegasus Mail for Dos Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>, John Goerzen Sheard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Aug 1996 13:36:41 -0500

Hi. Glad to be a part of the group. I've been using PMAIL for DOS, version
3.2 for the last year now with great success. I have 15 users working mainly
through diskless PCs on a Netware 3.11 server. I use Waffle on an old 286 as
my UUCP mail gateway, and everything is working just fine (rmail hangs when
there is an unknown user, but that is a minor annoyance I can ignore).

I have recently upgraded my computer to Win95, making the great leap forward
from DOS_land to Windows95 so that I can test the waters, and finally do some
proactive development.

The problem:

On my Win95 machine, running PMAIL in a DOS window works fine for all
aspects of the program except mailing to internet addresses. I can read
incoming mail and manipulate folders, etc. I can send mail to local users.
Any mail to an outside address, however, causes the following error:

"DOS environment variable PMUSER is NOT available.
 Please alter your autoexec.bat to define one.
 See documentation.
 Terminating abnormally - mail NOT SENT!"

The docs say that the PMUSER enviro variable is for stand-alone setups, and
besides, I don't set one for any other user/machine. Do I need because
this is a Win95 machine, and if so, what should the variable contain?

What would it take to fix this?

Is it a wise idea to keep using PMAIL for DOS from within Win95?

Can I try to "mix and match" the two versions, depending on the machine
I'm working on. This is a crucial "migration path" question as we move from
DOS to Win95 in our office.

I downloaded the WIN32 version, with the intention of using it on the Win95
machine only, but that path seems full of road blocks and questions. If I can
"mix and match" how should I set it up? I'd like it to be machine OS
dependent, not user dependent. Is this possible?

I'm a lone programmer with a non-profit.
Your responses to all or part of this query will be appreciated.

    John Goerzen Sheard

    Programmer/Analyst, SELFHELP Crafts Canada
    P.O. Box 869, 65 Heritage Dr., New Hamburg, ON  Canada  N0B 2G0
    email: [log in to unmask]    voice: 519-662-1879    fax:   519-662-3755