SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Joel Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:32:16 -0600
Oh my God.  I wasn't trashing unions in my response.  I come from a union
family - my sister and I even unionized our family and struck our mom and
pop management. I only meant to indicate that the job was defined into
existence by a union (nobody but the greensman could touch the greenery and
the greensman was not allowed to touch anything else). Given the number
of unemployed technical and craftspeople in Hollywood (of whom my older son
is one), I'm all in favor of union defined slots that pay enough to allow
them a decent standard of living in between jobs. OK? Or do I have to
sing the "Internationale"?
Joel Snyder
Department of Art History
University of Chicago