SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Chris Worsnop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:48:27 -0400
>>Let's not forget 1936 Olympiad. Maybe not politically correct, but
>>tremendously talented work. Loads of slow motion (I particularly recall the
>>diving sequences) acting very much as a cinematic microscope on athletic
>>motion.
>>

>>Chris M. Worsnop
>>Consultant, speaker, workshop leader
>>Assessment, writing, media education
>>
>>2400 Dundas Street West
>>Unit 6, Suite 107
>>Mississauga
>>Ontario, Canada
>>L5K 2R8
>
>I don't mean to pick, but the actual title of Riefenstahl's work is
>OLYMPIA, not Olmpiad.

Looks like we might both be wrong on this one. \

When I went to my books to check it out, the first thing to strike me was
that Riefenstahl is just ignored by so many of them. Nary a mention in BAsil
Wright or in Paul Rotha, to of my gurus for the early doc. Looks as if
political correctness is not as mosern as I used to think.

The reference I found was in Roger MAnvell's Encyclopedia of Film, where the
title is given as Olympiad (Not 1936 Olympiad, as I called it, nor Olympia,
as you said.)

Perhaps the trouble is that the original title was in german, and different
English language versions have translated it variously.

Still, after thinking about the film so much, now I want to see it again.
I'm going to ask my video outlet if it's available.

Chimo

>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message. Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]

Chris M. Worsnop
Consultant, speaker, workshop leader
Assessment, writing, media education

2400 Dundas Street West
Unit 6, Suite 107
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada
L5K 2R8

Email: <[log in to unmask]>
Phone: (905) 823-0875 (please note correction)