SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:18:37 EDT
On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:04:54 -0600 Joel Snyder said:
>I don't know who it designates today, but in the 1940s-1960s, the greensman
>was the person on a studio set who was responsible for bringing, locating,
>placing and moving greenery (usually artificial)- trees, bushes, plants,
>lawns, etc.  This was a union made label for a union made job.  Only the
>greensman could touch the greenery.
>

>Joel Snyder
>Department of Art History
>University of Chicago

Joel is correct about the craft; he's wrong about his snipping at unions.
Even a casual knowledge of the film industry would reveal that unions
were (and are) necessary even more than they are necessary in
other industries.  Anyone who believes in the good nature of producers
must believe in Santa Claus.  Producers do and did exploit anyone they
can.  The crafts people on a picture are doing blue collar tasks and
deserve to be rewarded with more than a credit at the end of a film that
read by only family members (and prospective employers).

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>

      SCREENsite -- A Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web
      URL:http://www.sa.ua.edu/SCREENsite/