SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:27:53 CST
 Dear Bonnie and other in the slow-motion debate.
  Is a director's cut of THE OPSTERMAN WEEKEND available on video? I gave a
paper on the film at the 1989 Society for Cinema Studies Conference and plan
reworking it into an article sometime. I was very impressed with Peckinpah's
"last testament" (as I term it) and noted what he attempted to do despite
the inconsistencies. It is a very sadly underrated and neglected film.
 During a recent visit to St. Louis I obtained a pressbook with stills
several of which show a sadly aged Sam with Burt Lancaster.
  If you'd like to e-mail me privately, my address is [log in to unmask]
THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND is a favorite film of mine and one I'd like further
information about.
  As Michael Powell once told me in 1981, "We all borrow from each other in
this business."
   Sincerely,
    Tony Williams