SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
"Simone L. Fary" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:38:42 -0400
     My parents have been very involved in conversational groups
called salons, so we all have spent many hours discussing what
makes for good conversation and how to facilitate it among "live"
groups. How to do this on the internet is a new topic for me, so
I am hoping that we discuss it more fully. Here are my thoughts:

1. The standard of discourse on this list is higher than any other
I've encountered so far, which is what I like about it. However,
maybe because of this the listers are hesitant to put out ideas
that they are unsure about, or haven't developed a coherent theory
about yet because they don't want to appear uninformed. Maybe we
all need to take more chances with ideas we are playing with and
ask more open ended questions instead of just factual ones. In
this spirit, I'll be tossing out some things I have been wondering
about shortly.

2. This is not to say I have anything against fact based
questions. As one who doesn't have easy access to the web, or a
library of good reference books nearby I appreciate the opportunity
to get answers this way.

3. I think one thing that is vital to having an easy exchange of
ideas is a climate of respectful tolerance of other's opinions.
That seems to exist in this group already, but I just wanted to
enforce how vital it is to maintain that in order to have good
conversations.

4. I was wondering about the composition of the group - it is my
subjective impression that a good portion of people who contribute
are academics. Is this true, and how does this affect the tone of
the list? I am thinking that perhaps it would be nice if we had
more contributions from people who are actually making films about
their projects.

     I look forward to hearing your opinons.
Simone Fary