Help for PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS Archives

PM-DOS@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

PM-DOS Home

PM-DOS  August 1996, Week 1

PM-DOS August 1996, Week 1

Re: Getting PMpop and/or PMgate to work with Netcom

"Thomas R. Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Aug 1996 19:29:43 -0800

On  6 Aug 96 at 20:38, Arvo Howard Henifin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> >> I haven't done it with Netcom, but I have with ScruzNet.  I have a
> > PPP account with them.  I know the default for Netcom is SLIP, and
> > you have to force it into the PPP mode using the # sign.
>

> To Thomas Stephenson
>
>         In regards to the above-quoted message, thanks for the
> reply to my plaintive plea for help in getting the PMgate or PMpop
> POP3 mail gateways to work with Netcom's POP3 and SMTP mail
> servers.  I have been successful as far as setting up a PPP
> connection with Netcom in DOS, so that is not the problem.  The
> Minuet Internet Suite (which is a DOS application) works just fine
> under a PPP connection with Netcom.  I just do not like Minuet
> because it is unable to cope with the SMTP outgoing mail server
> having a different address than the POP3 incoming mail server.
> Every time I go from receiving mail to sending mail I have to erase
> the address of the POP3 mail server from the setup and enter the
> address of the SMTP server.  It is easy enough to do, but it is
> inelegant (and I always forget!).
----------------------------- wattcp.cfg ---------------------------
my_ip=165.227.102.091           ; The Internet Address of this machine
netmask=255.255.0.0             ; The netmask of this machine
nameserver=165.227.1.1          ; Address of your site's nameserver (required)
                                ; (can have more than one)
domainslist="scruznet.com"      ; List of domains

I have a fixed IP address, so I really don't have that problem.

>         I am sure that the problem is in my Wattcp.cfg parameters
> file.  I can not make any program work that uses a Wattcp.cfg file.
>  That includes the Lynx Web Browser and the Trumpet Newreader.
> Would you be so kind as to share your wattcp.cfg parameters file
> for ScruzNet with me.  Also could you tell me your PMgate or PMpop
> parameters.   I do not think that the Pegasus Mail settings are at
> fault as I can not even make the gateway programs work in a
> standalone mode outside of Pegasus.

The PMPOP and PopGate parameters are very straight forward, the
hostname, username and password are identical to that used in
WinPmail.  The directories are fixed right now since it is a test.
I have hard coded the data to the corrected directory.  The real
question is do you get to the connection and login process?  If not,
you are probably right you are not properly passing the IP address to
the application.  I really believe the myip address should be bootp.
What application are you using for the PPP connection?  Again, Netcom
says you need to use the # sign in front of the locin name to force
the connection into PPP.  Without PPP being set, you will never get
an answer to the PPP request and then you should be using a SLIP
driver like Minuet.

>         I suspect part of the problem is that Netcom uses dynamic
> addressing, so everytime I dial in and get a PPP connection my
> address is different.  I have a program that is supposed to feed
> the address to the programs, but who knows if it really doing so.
> Does ScruzNet have static or dynamic addressing?   Anyway, thanks
> in advance for your help.  Does anyone else have any ideas?
>
> Arvo Howard Henifin Barr, Warner, Lloyd & Henifin 5859 Abercorn
> Extension, Building Number Two Savannah, GA 31405 Ph: (912) 352-8053
>    Fax: (912) 352-7140

Thomas R. Stephenson, CPL           Phone: (408) 263-2836
2030 Lockwood Drive, San Jose CA 95132
Work: [log in to unmask]
Home: [log in to unmask]
Member of Pegasus Mail Support Team
Thought for the day:
     Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.