SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 5

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:31:43 -0400

        Joshua Hirsch wrote:

> I would propose that OCTOBER is located under THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER,
> rather than on the side of it.

        I would like to pass on to the list yet another reading from a
colleague and friend.

        Izabela Kalinowska-Blackwood "wrote:"

I just saw the ad you wrote about for the first time. I don't see
any Eisenstein subtexts there. The folk song "Kalinka moia" does not
point in the direction. Also its Potemkin, and not October (ten days that
shook the world) that has sailors in it. If they are referring to the Hunt
for the Red October then they are getting it wrong, as well. The captain
of the Red October was Lithuanian, and not Ukrainian. But who cares,
right? He could have been Ukrainian. All those countries (small,
insignificant) out there, in the wild East. This is what IBM is saying.