SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:33:05 -0600
Simone Fary wonders:
"I was wondering - does anybody besides Frank Mourris
(and wife) work with magazine cut-out animation?  I know
Terry Gilliam did a kind of cut-out picture pixillation in the
old Flying Circus, but says he is no longer interested in
doing it.  Also, how can one see the work of the Mourris' or
any other filmmakers working in this medium?"

There are a number of music videos that use this technique.  "And
She Was" by the Talking Heads is one of them.

Just in case you're close to New York, the American Museum of
the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens has a hands-on do-it-yourself
animation stand that allows you to work with cutouts.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)