SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

From:
Harriet Kasow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:06:00 +0300
Shalom,
The l3th Jerusalem Film Festival just ended and as usual it had some
very interesting offerings. I saw 21 films out of a possible l80 not
bad considering I had to work as well. This is a non-competitive
event except for the Israeli films off which there 9 this year a high-
mark in Israeli film production. We watched these films overlooking
the City of DaviD (the forerunner of Jerusalem which of course is
celebrating its 3000th birthday).
Here goes some reviews.
PARIS WAS A WOMAN. U.K. 1995. Greta Schiller
   A lovely documentary about the lesbian couples that lived in Paris
in the 20's and 30's. It includes footage and audio and stills of women
such as Stein & Toklas, Sylvia Beach, Djuna Barnes, and Janet Flanner
one could say she was the historian for this era in her writings under
the name Genet for the New Yorker.

LUMIERE ET COMPAGNIE. France. l995 Sarah Moon
A lot of fun watching about 30 famous directors ie., Rivette, Wenders,
Lynch, Penn, etc. film with the original Lumiere camera making 52
second films. Lots of Fun. Only one caveat, the French asked the
question to these directors "is Film mortal? And that's what makes it
French.

A PROPOS DE NICE. LA SUITE. france. l995
7 directors make stories connected with the original film by Vigo.
Interesting and French (one story is by Costa Gavras)

Have to rush off. Will La Suite soon.
Harriet Kasow
Media Librarian Hebrew university, Mt. Scopus
Jerusalem [log in to unmask]