SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

From:
Molly Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:17:23 ES
gene @ sqn.com (gene o'regon) wrote:

> am looking for modern films which rely almost entirely on visual
>images to carry the story. are there any?
> thanks for help
> gene

I don't know how recent you're looking for (or modern as in Modern era?), but
Jacques Tati's films have only minimal speaking parts -- MR. HULOT'S HOLIDAY,
MON ONCLE, PLAYTIME (from the '50s) and TRAFFIC (1974). Be sure to get the
French versions (with dubbing or subtitles); the concurrently-filmed
English-language versions aren't as good.

Molly Olsen