SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:16:32 -0400
> Just wanted to vent something that has been annoying me lately.  Why is it
> that indie film has totally stopped giving any attention to women
> filmmakers in favor of lavishing media on waifish model-of-the-week
> actresses?  When indie film was new, there were lots of talented directors
> that got attention -- Alison Anders, Julie Dash, Leslie Harris, Rose
> Troche, etc. etc.  And now???

        How about Cheryl Dunye's *Watermelon Woman?* shown at the Gay&Lesbian
Film Festival in New York last month?  *The Incredibly True Adventure of
Two Girls in Love* from last summer?
        I didn't know that Kate Moss starred in a film. :-)

> For example, there is an excellent film out now that I saw at New Directors
> called WALKING AND TALKING.  A great film from a woman director &
> screenwriter Nicole Holofcener, starring non-waif, very talented actressed
> Catherine Keener and Anne Heche.  Its about a couple of friends in their
> late 20's -- one is getting married, and the other can't even get a date.
> Its one of the only films in recent memory that seriously takes an interest
> in friendship between two women.
>
> Now why hasn't the media taken notice of this?  Siskel and Ebert gave it
> two thumbs up and said it was one of the best films they've seen in a
> while.  Yet you see no news about it, etc.

        I saw it too, at that Festival and I don't think it got any kind of
commercial distribution...yet.
        And what happened to Donna Deitch, Claudia Weill?

        Gloria Monti