SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
"G.Hayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:33:00 BST
Birgit Kellner aks for films where "red and blue are used as contrasts in
>order to highlight conflicting moods, express relationships of oppositions
>and the like."

How about - an obvious one I'm afraid - Kieslowski's Three Colours trilogy,
not only between the films but also within them (see especially Blue); but
perhaps a very good example to show thematic and character opposition is
Vadim's Et Dieu Crea La Femme (1956). There's also a whole bench of Godard
(in particular Le Mepris (1963) and Pierrot le Fou (1965)), although it
seems to me that the opposition between red and blue here is based on
notions of statehood and identity rather than opposition between the colours
themselves. Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
contrasts white (the toilets), green (the kitchens), blue (the car park) and
red (the dining hall) in sumptuous Jacobean revenge tragedy grandeur. Aki
Kaurismaki's I Hired a Contract Killer, from what I can remember, contrasts
Margi Clarke's red with blue backgorunds and J-P Leaud's grey. If I can
think of any more in this morning's exam board, I'll post them on...

Graeme Hayes
University of Wolverhampton, UK