SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

From:
Maria Ferrara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:49:50 -0400

>More often, I am questioning why so many people can spend hours pondering
>something as inconsequential as Johnny Depp's career.  (Not that he is
>inconsequential, ut that the constant and complete dissection of his life
is.)

The discussion didn't really centre around his life - i.e. - is he still
dating Kate Moss?
I think someone (sorry, I forget who) made a relevant point that there are
some movies that wouldn't be made if it wasn't for a "name" like Depp
agreeing to star in them.  That's because a lot of these films get watched
because of who's in them.  I come to film from a non-academic background - I
have not any taken film classes. I do try to learn what I can by reading and
watching, though.  For some of us with no academic background, maybe the
"star question" does play a role.  I am a fan of French and Italian cinema,
esp. Pasolini, Fellini and Truffault.  And this all started innocently enough
with a high school crush on Jean Paul Belmondo!  Would I have discovered
these directors eventually?  Probably.  But this doesn't belittle the point
that it was a fan-like attitude that set me on this road.
There are a lot of people (women) who go see any movie Depp is in.  Maybe
seeing something like "Dead Man"  will set them on their own path of
cinematic discovery.

Maria